Ceberhas & Huhe. (2011). An Acoustic Analysis of Short Vowels of Initial Syllable in Newen Sub-dialect of Butha Dialect of Dagur Language. Altai Hakpo 21: 109-119. The Altaic Society of Korea.

Based on “An Acoustic Parameter Database of Dagur Language” and analysis of Formats (F1, F2) of short vowels of initial syllable in Newen sub-dialect of Butha dialect of Dagur language and applying both qualitative and quantitative analysis approaches, this paper presents short vowels’ characteristics and pattern. Research results indicate that this sub-dialect has five short vowels (/ɐ, ǝ, i, o, u/) in the initial syllable. In the front-back dimension, these vowels can be divided into front vowel ([i]), middle vowel ([ɐ, ǝ]) and back vowel ([o, u]). In the high-low dimension, these vowels can be divided into high vowel ([i], [u]), mid-high vowel ([ǝ, o]) and low vowel ([ɐ]). In terms of lip shape, they can be divided into flat lip vowel ([ɐ, ǝ, i]) and rounded lip vowel ([o, u]). In summary, in the initial syllable, short vowels of Newen sub-dialect of Butha dialect of Dagur language demonstrate that they are distributed evenly in acoustic chart with the center of vowel [ǝ].

Keywords: acoustic analysis, short vowels, initial syllable, Newen sub-dialect, Dagur language